[LCSD] Posts! And a letter!

Tre’ has a couple of good posts today.  LT follows up with their comments on the same topics.  I don’t have much to add that they did not already cover; all I can say is that if Alexander is really trying to kill the Beyond LHS program, then, uh, WTF?

In related news, someone let me know that Board candidate Jane Ruck has a letter in the DH.  I’m going to make an exception from my usual neglect in reading it and quote from Ruck’s letter, though I’m not going to link to it; you can certainly find it yourself (Ruck is running for the same seat as Rick Alexander, I believe, as is Liz Alperin):

Lebanon has a new school superintendent. In my opinion the “meet the candidates” night was a farce. I feel the board’s decision had already been made.

Wow.  Coming out swinging.

As you know, Mr. Hess was the winner. Mr. Hess spoke about getting test scores up, motivating students, increasing the rate of graduation and the importance of all our children being ready for college.

Mr. Woodruff, the other candidate, spoke about the same things as well as taking a holistic approach, which considers not only the students who want to attend college but also those who don’t.

College is not the beginning and end all.

Interesting stuff.  I can’t tell if I think she’s making the entirely reasonable point that not everyone is going to end up in college even though as many as possible should, or that there is a whole sector of students that we shouldn’t even be trying to get to college.  The former is defensible; the latter comes across, to me, as ignorant of the global economic and educational realities we’re dealing with.  We can’t go back.  We can only move forward.

Oh, and on a more personal note, there was this:

Take a student who gets a degree in social anthropology. What are his prospects for a good job?

I don’t know – but I suspect Jane Ruck does not either.  I got a degree in Sociology and Philosophy, and I found a good job, and one I like, to boot (and I love anthropology).  And I’ve heard that companies like Apple and Google are hiring social anthropologists.  Oh, and Microsoft.  Makes me think Ms. Ruck chose a bad example.

What do you all think about Ms. Ruck and her candidacy?

Advertisements
Explore posts in the same categories: Uncategorized

Tags:

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

2 Comments on “[LCSD] Posts! And a letter!”

  1. Anon Says:

    She just lost my vote. Her assumption is the mentality we are trying to get away from. It’s the things didn’t go my way so it must be corrupt, fixed, or something’s fishy, thinking that must go in order for us to make progress and move forward. I appreciate her openess and honesty, but to write a letter to the editor and accuse the school board of something without any evidence other than she didn’t agtree with their decision is asinine. Sorry Ms. Ruck but we have enough people like you on the school board, we don’t need you.

  2. someone Says:

    “Lebanon has a new school superintendent. In my opinion the “meet the candidates” night was a farce. I feel the board’s decision had already been made.”

    I believe what she said there was 90% true. Majority of the board members not all had made up their mind and they were just going through the motion to deceive the community in believing they are really objective with the whole process. This is another example of wasting taxpayers’ money when they could have come out and name Mr. Hess without paying for the search. The decision was sealed before the process even started. It shows how easy it is to deceive the members of this community. Realty is not what you always see.

    “Mr. Woodruff, the other candidate, spoke about the same things as well as taking a holistic approach, which considers not only the students who want to attend college but also those who don’t.”

    I believe what she was saying is that the percentage of the student who graduated is only 60% in the State. So what do we do with the other 40%? How do we find a way to educate them? We have to face the facts that not all students will go to college or have the same learning abilities as the others so we have to be mindful of them and find ways to educate them. Mr. Woodruff was more articulate with what should be done and what he had done to address those problems.

    On the last part she just used the wrong example but over all she did makes sense to me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: